Millions of tourists visit Goa every year, a majority of them making the trip during the peak season in winter from October to January. Quite a few visit Goa during the summer around the month of May. But they seldom make the trip when Goa is at its most beautiful — during the monsoons. The rainy season (monsoons) in Goa is simply a magical experience.
The real beauty and grandeur of Goa is at its height during the rainy season when it offers you a plethora of unique experiences. The rivers joyfully overflow with their rushing streams, the trees dance to the tune of the winds, the mountains and the fields cover themselves with a verdant green carpet ready to welcome you to a land of eternal beauty.
In early June, after the sweltering summer heat of the summer months, the monsoon gives Goa the first signal of its imminent arrival. Ominous grey clouds gather over the horizon, the blue skies disappear and the thunder rumbles in the distance sounding like a typical Goan drum beat.
Here are the 8 top reasons for visiting goa in the monsoon
1. Super Cheap – Check the flight ticket prices. You can get a round-trip ticket for half the price, compared to the peak season. Those from Mumbai or Bangalore… Goa is just a road trip or a bus ride away. The best hotels and villas in Goa are also offered sometimes good discount Budget hotels are available at just INR 500 and that too, right next to a beach. You can ride a rented scooter for anything between INR 250 and 175.
2. The Lushness – Goa is at its greenest during the monsoon. The rivers are all full, and so are the lakes and ponds. The waterfalls look gorgeous and are at their roaring best. A torrent of water comes down the falls – you can hear the roar from a distance. The trees are all green and the rice paddies look incredible.
3. Nature – Walking and trekking is a pleasure this time of the year. There are many trails you can explore. Some of them take you over the Western Ghat Mountains. You can also visit the wildlife sanctuaries. There is also the Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary. Many birds come out after a shower. You can see them backing in the sunlight for drying off. The Spice Plantation in Goa is quite a popular tourist destination.
4. Enjoy the Rain – Goa is magical when it rains. Getting wet in the rain is a fun experience. Or you can just relax, put your feet up and see the downpour. The cloud cover and rain over the Arabian Sea always looks so beautiful. Watch the raindrops as they crash into the sea. Take a long siesta, have some coffee, and enjoy the beachside in the evening. Or go on long walks when it is not raining. There are so many ways of enjoying Goa in the monsoon months.
5.Monsoon Festivals – The festivals never end in Goa, even in the monsoons. Many Goans love to celebrate the arrival of the rains. Take for instance, the Sao Joao festival of June, and the mud games of Chikalkala. There is the feast of Patolleanchem too, and of course, India’s Independence Day on August 15th.
6. Adventure Sports – Swimming is not recommended in the rains because of the stronger currents and rough tides, but there are still plenty of adventure sports activities during the monsoon season. There is trekking, hiking, bird watching, and white water rafting, which is a hot favorite this time of the year. The monsoon makes the rivers swell, making white water rafting more challenging and exciting.
7. Nightlife – Goa does not shut down completely in the monsoon. Many nightclubs are still open, hosting their fun parties and rain dances. Visit Mambo’s, Tito’s and the St. Anthony’s Bar in Baga, the LPK (Love Passion Karma) in Candolim, Curlies on Anjuna beach, and the bar of Park Hotel in Calangute. A few beach shacks too host their parties in the rainy season.
8. Food – Most temporary shacks are open only during the peak tourist season. But you will still find the permanent shacks and the restaurants serving their drinks, seafood, Goanese and Konkan delicacies, and continental foods. There is an abundance of vegetables and fruits this season. Don’t forget to try the local delicacies, including the fruit punches, shakes, and mocktails.
Yes, Goa in the monsoons has all the ingredients of a dreamy, misty, green vacation with peace and solitude in just the right measure. So come enjoy this beautiful monsoon season with us at Lar Amorosa and have a memorable experience.
Published by Espressotive